How to Choose Photographs that Sell Your Business
November 6th 2012 | By Steve Grant
A picture says a thousand words. It’s true that strong imagery can be a powerful marketing tool whether for printed material or a website.
Carefully selected images confirm to customers what it is you are selling. The wrong image by contrast can confuse and annoy customers, leaving them with a negative impression that may never be reversed.
Images need to be impactful and uncluttered. They should elicit the correct emotional response from a customer too. In this blog we take a look at how you should go about choosing the perfect photographs for your marketing, whether it’s a website, blog, presentation, brochure, leaflet, catalogue or direct mail campaign.
- Ensure the subject is immediately recognisable
- Make the image relevant to your product or services
- It’s vital the image is of good quality, well lit and in focus
- Look for good proportions and vivid colours or crisp lines
- Make it consistent with your brand values
- Avoid generic, stock images that countless other businesses use
- Think, does the image convey the right feeling? Consider the context, look at the background. If models or people are being used, do they portray the right look and ring true with your audience?
- Do the images provide information that will inspire a purchase or enquiry? Different angled shots and images of a product in use will help greatly.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional Commercial Photographer
Generally you have three choices when selecting your commercial photography. Opt for stock images, take your own or hire a professional photographer. Here’s why we prefer the latter:
- The service is bespoke and the shots will be unique rather than images that competitors are using
- The photographer will advise you on the best way of capturing the spirit of your company, staff, premises and / or products
- You will have more control over the rights to the images
- You can develop a good relationship with a photographer who will come to understand your brand
- Perhaps most importantly, your images will be authentic and true to your business
No matter what you’re marketing, product or service, through web or print, the use of strong, relevant images of exceptional quality will stand you apart. Need help with commercial photography? It’s one of our services so get in touch to see how we can help.